Sunday, January 2, 2011

Desperate for a change

Strange how growing up that no doctor ever associated food having anything to do with how I felt. The only person who came close to thinking there was a connection between food & health was my dad, and he was a high school drop-out.

But I grew up with Rheumatic Fever & Scoliosis and my mother had epilepsy. Those health conditions were beyond anything my dad's knowledge. He just knew and always told us "You are what you eat, if you eat junk then you become junk".

Well the last few years I have become JUNK! I seem to have alot of little health issues that nobody has been able to pin-point to any real diagnosis. No matter what my concern or complaint is, I am told that it's nothing to worry about or just something caused from stress or general over-eating at some event/holiday.

Last year I started to look up Gluten free info to see if it had anything to do with all my stomach aches & bathroom issues. It probably did, but never really gave up wheat. Oh hell, grains seem to be my favorite thing to eat.

Last August, after having headaches for to long and finding it harder to read for long periods of time I finally went to Eye Masters and got bifocals. They have helped alot with the headaches.

This last Fall, I started getting an annoying itchy skin on my fingers..soon watery bumps appeared that I scratched until they burst open and became sores. Then I got bumps/welts on my arms, elbows and calves & heels and along jawline. I assume people must be starting to think I am a junkie because of my constent itching and all the wierd sores everywhere.

None of the health issues I had last year have really gone away, but thats cuz I never really changed my diet. I always wondered as a kid, why a cancer patient would continue to smoke or why a diabetic would eat sugary junk-food or why anyone taking medication for high blood pressure would add salt to their processed food that already had salt added into it. I figured if a Dr told you that your life depended on eating a certain way, that should be enough to change your diet.

Well seeing as no Dr has ever told me anything about a gluten free diet...that must be why I still buy to much bread,crackers and such. But why do I need to wait for a Dr, when I can read the info for myself online and become my own Dr? Shouldn't my own knowledge of my symptoms be enough. I should know my own body better then any Dr. Dr's don't know everything; and I already know that...if I believed everything a Dr told me just because they are "the professional" then I never woulda had 7 kids when every DR I saw had told me not to.

No comments: