Sunday, January 24, 2010

Comfort Food

I see or hear the term "comfort food" often and wondered ~what the actual heck is comfort food really....so I looked it up online.

~Comfort foods are familiar, simple foods that are usually home-cooked or eaten at informal restaurants. They are foods that are often emotionally significant to a person or group of people and are sometimes related to pleasant memories of childhood.~

Now according to Wikipedia:
Favorite home-made comfort foods in the US include chocolate cake, meatloaf, fluffernutters, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, (or twice-baked potato), applesauce, fried chicken, chicken soup, pizza, peanut butter, ice cream, bacon, chicken and dumplings, eggs, and hash browns, tomato soup & grilled cheese, buffalo wings, nachos, beets, and potato skins. Many creative mixes of foods have emerged that people term as comfort foods.

From my own personal childhood, I remember fluffernutters, Mom's homemade chicken soup, Some Mexicali Casserole (from the old Betty Crocker cookbooks~mom's favorite cookbook) Grandma's Beef Stew, Gram's Red applesauce (she left the peelings on when she made applesauce)Dad's Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Tomato slices inside, Dad's breakfast of homefries with onions,peppers & sliced hotdogs (maybe cheese too), or a fried egg sandwich.

I just realized that I don't eat the things I loved as a kid anymore. Guess I need to come up with a new list of comfort foods.
Hmmmm, while the weather gave us a break from the snow, I went up to the general store today to restock groceries before our next snowfall (which should be Tuesday night).
The thing I was dieing for was hummus. Hmmm can hummus be a comfort food? Hummus is something I just started eating 3 years ago and now when I get it from the store I become an addict and have to eat the whole thing up in 1-2 days.

~~*If you want to see pics of the snow here, go to my other blog which is listed on my profile page*~~

No comments: